More Featured Resources
- Toolkit for Community Health Providers: Engaging Ethnic Media to Inform Communities about Safe Infant Sleep: New from the National Center for Cultural Competence's SUID/SIDS Project!
- Orientation to the New and Improved SUID/SIDS Resource Center Website: Archived Presentation | Session Q&As
- The Federal SUID/SIDS Workgroup released a statement asking all organizations who reach families and health care providers through media, print, and education to show infants sleeping alone, on their backs, and in a clutter-free crib, bassinet, or play yard. Read more.
- Yet another study warns of the dangers of bed sharing with your baby. Is it worth the risk? See First Candle's response to a new study.
- Pregnancy in the Context of a Woman's Lifespan: archived presentation sponsored by AMCHP, ASIP, and NFIMR
- New Regulations Banning Crib Bumper Sales in Maryland. Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. (November 2012)
- Infant Deaths: Searching for Answers in Mississippi (CNN, November 2012)
The Resource Center invites you to celebrate
Child Health Day, October 1, 2012!
This year's focus in on Reducing Infant Mortality. See resources compiled by the MCH Library
- Genetic Tests Could Explain Why Some Children and Teens Die Unexpectedly (Washington Post, July 2012)
- Rosen Reports: Crib Products May be Deadly, Experts Say (Today Show; May 2012)
- SUID/SIDS Consortium provides Resources to Support AAP Policy Statement, SIDS and Other Sleep-Related Infant Deaths: Expansion of Recommendations for a Safe Infant Sleeping Environment (AAP Policy Statement | Technical Report, October 2011)
- Statistics. Latest infant mortality, SUID, and SIDS rates charted. (National SUID/SIDS Resource Center)
- Hot Topics in Infant Safe Sleep: An Interactive Workshop with Rachel Moon, M.D. updated to include new question and answer segments!
- SIDS Messages Miss the Mark for Some Parents (October 2011)
- FDA launches Baby Products with SIDS Prevention Claims to help manufacturers of baby products comply with the FDA regulations and to educate parents and caregivers about the risks of using baby products marketed with SIDS medical claims (October 2011)
- Cultural and Linguistic Competence Self-Assessment for Fetal and Infant Mortality Review Programs: Webinar Archive (October 2011)
- AMCHP's PULSE newsletter focuses on Infant Mortality (September 2011)
- NIH releases statement on the new crib safety standards (June 2011)
- New editions released of The Death of a Child, The Grief of the Parents: A Lifetime Journey and The Grieving Child: Helping Children Cope When an Infant Dies
- Infant Sleep Position and Bed Sharing: Using PRAMS to Impact Programs and Policy: ASIP/AMCHP Webinar #5 (June 2011).
- Acueste a Su Bebé Boca Arriba Para Dormir: Spanish translation of Helping Baby Back to Sleep just released!
- The Child Cases: Frontline episode examines the investigation of sudden child deaths.
- The Stillbirth Series (published by The Lancet) presents 10 key interventions that could reduce the number of stillbirths worldwide, and identifies priority research themes and actions (April 2011).
- Illinois Attorney General Madigan Urges Parents to Immediately Stop Use of Crib Bumpers (December 2010)
- New Crib Safety Standards Approved (U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission) 2010
- NIH Alerts Caregivers to an Increase in SIDS Risk During Cold Weather (November 2010)
- Back to Sleep Campaign awarded the MCHB Director's Award for Collaboration at the 75th Anniversary of Title V Celebration
- Military HOMEFRONT, the website for official Military Community & Family Policy information, has launched Putting Baby Safely to Sleep Campaign, which includes a blog for new and expectant parents.
- Translating Infant Safe Sleep Evidence into Nursing Practice: Project IMPACT and ASIP leaders co-author study findings in the Nov/December issue of the Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing.
- A Spotlight on Sudden and Unexpected Infant Death and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome Prevention Efforts. AMCHP Pulse (September 2010)
- Infant Mortality and Racism: What is Holding Us Back and How Do We Move Forward?
- National Plan for Action: Changing Outcomes -- Achieving Health Equity (February 2010)
- NPR Feature: Is Emotional Pain Necessary? (August 2010). Also of interest: Where Bereaved Parents Don't Feel So Alone and Deep Grief: Creating Meaning from Mourning.
- Project IMPACT's MCH & SUID Contacts
- Stillbirth and SUID Prevention, Education, and Awareness Act of 2009 (S.1445). Track the bill status with THOMAS at the Library of Congress.
- AAP's The Changing Concept of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome: Diagnostic Coding Shifts, Controversies Regarding the Sleeping Environment, and New Variables to Consider in Reducing Risk (2005, reaffirmed May 2008) Policy statement.